11 Nov 2016
Adopt a whole different set of management principles and practices.
Reinventing Organizations by Frédéric Laloux comes highly recommended by Buffer’s, co-founder & CEO, Joel Gascoigne, so much so that it’s a prerequisite read for new hires at the startup.
- You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.
- The greatest danger in times of turbulence is not the turbulence. It is to act with yesterday’s logic.
- Seeing is not believing, believing is seeing. You see things, not as they are, but as you are.
- Humanity evolves in stages. We are not like a tree that grows consistently, but like a caterpillar that becomes a butterfly.
- Ever more people today have the means to live, but no meaning to live for. ~~
- Every challenge you encounter in life is a fork in the road. You have the choice to choose which way to go — backward, forward, breakdown or breakthrough.
- The most existing breakthroughs of the 21st century will not occur because of technology, but because of expanding concept of what it means to be human. (John Naisbitt)
- The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have built the society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
- Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come.
- Humans are born to care. Our institutions magnify or depress the human capacity to care.
- Teams should not grow more then 12 people. If they do, they should be split.
- Team members must appraise each other every year based on competency models they devise themselves.
- Bureaucracies are built by and for people who busy themselves proving they are necessary, especially when they suspect they are not.
- You were not hired to fill a specific job description. You were hired to consistently be looking around for the most valuable work you could be doing.
- You can measure an organization by the number of lies you must tell to be a part of it.
- The general rule seems to be that consciousness of the organization cannot exceed the level of consciousness of its leader.
- Extended overview from the Reinventing Organizations website.
- Buffer’s Kevan Lee has written extensive notes & excerpts from the book.